Re: Bandura on biology and psychology

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 06:14:45 PST

Quick note -- I've got to drive to the airport to try to recover my suitcase --
one problem i see with Bandura's work (especially earlier work) is that it
leans towards environmental determinism -- and does not address well the
reciprocal agency of the individual with its context. Granted, Bandura does
explain well some aspects of the historical conditioning of the individual.
But not to throw out the baby with the bathwater, since these things are worked
out in some detail, one can draw upon them to explicate the more full and rich
reciprocality of human interactions with each other and with things, across a
variety of timescales, given the traces of any microgenetic timescales remain
across much longer ones.

bb

--- NaTe <vygotsky@home.com> wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Thanks.
>
> Some very interesting points from the glance I took. The focus on "history"
> appears very pertinent to CHAT.
>
> nATE
>

> 11/5/2001 5:01:41 PM, "Bruce Robinson" <bruce.rob@btinternet.com> wrote:

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]