Citations of Mind in Society's zpd

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 16:13:01 PST

pg 86 "The zpd . . .is the distance between the actual development as
determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential
development as deteremined through problem soving under adult guidance or in
collaboration with more capable peers." This is the cognitive aspect and
that which emphasizes semiotic mediation and then there is Vygotsky's
definition on pg 90 "the zone of proximal development, that is, learning
awakens a variety of internal developmental processes that are able to
operate only when the child is interacting with people in his environment and
in cooperation with his peers." This quote almost negates the idea of
individual measurement of zpds and stakes a claim for social constructs to be
the only defining criteria for zpds.

The purpose of not accepting eclecticism is because of its tendancy for
relatavistic ideas. If there is an indeed a theoretical construct that is
driving the use of varying viewpoints then point out the history of those
connections (great tv show by the way) and name the construct.

Because of Vygotsky's crisis paper I proclaim my methodological construct as
developmentalist because as an exxplanatory system it embraces Hegel's
dialectic and its ability to explain the change that accompanies human
interactions and actions upon interactions. Also for this same reason I like
the term ontogenesis for the cognitive aspect of the zpd and phylogenesis for
the social aspect of the zpd.

Eric