the non-terminated discussion

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 15:35:46 PST

Julian, David, et al--

As I said in an earlier note, the notice of the death of the conversation
about math seems premature to me. Just a lot going on at once.

David-- it was you who quoted Vygotsky's pedagogical psych-- as in

According to him "In arithmetic the child assimilate a certain method of thinkin
g with no dependence from the material she/he uses to solve a task. In sociology
 and natural sciences the material is the concrete reality that the concept refl
ects. So, it seems to me that the ways of scientific concepts development in ari
thmetic and sociology can be someway different" (In an attached chapter titled S
cientific and everyday concepts development in school age of the Portuguese vers
ion of EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY)

Fascinating. This book was written prior to the fomulation of cultural-historical
psychology. It would be fascinating to see where he talks about math in
writing 6-8 years later to see if they are consistent.
mike