Re: eclectism and oxymorons

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 03:19:37 PST

> Hi Eric,
>
> IMHO Those that are consistent about what it is to be eclectic, are not
> necessarily the same as those that are eclectic,. One can think of it
this
> way: sheep have some way of telling themselves from the wolves.

Bill,

I totally agree with you here. But it seems to me to indicate that your
analysis of eclecticism using AT is somewhat beside the point. Nobody doubts
that eclecticism is possible - as in Alice in Wonderland, it is possible to
believe a hundred different things before breakfast. But you are
_advocating_ eclecticism, rather than simply being analysing it.

> But I like the idea of oxymorons and will think about such things some
more.
> After all, an oxymoron is a contradiction in terms, and contradictions can
> serve to reveal the fragility of human thought.

There is a difference between using contradiction as a method of thought (as
in the ancient Greek notion of dialectic as a dialogue of contradiction) and
advocating a jumble of ideas that have no consistent guiding principle. (Or
perhaps the only guiding principle is their immediate usefulness - is this
really an argument about American pragmatism rather than Vygotsky's
monism??)

 Non-eclecticism perhaps, is
> the "hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and
philosophers and
> divines."

Who's using derogatory terms now?

Bruce (also in a hurry)

> This is a strong claim. And I think it is in relation to the crises.
>
> But beyond that, I have not a clew. bahaaaaa. And I'm probably wrong.
But I
> must rise in 4 hours to catch a plane, which is not so easy nowadays, so
I'm
> keeping it short.
>
> And I really must tell you that I deplore the term "bubbleheaded".
Generally
> speaking, derogatory terms have an unpleasant effect.
>
> Catch my drift, dude? The challenge facing white american males is how to
be
> respectful while also living up to their conditioning of being a rebel.
It's
> some sort of cosmic puzzle, which one never quite completes. Like walking
> knife-edge, you're always too far on the wrong side, regardless of which
side.

> Totally cosmic.
>
> bb
>

> =====
> "One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."