Re: Math: Postscript

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 17:01:16 PST

"There's outright hostility in the mathematics community toward
constructivist/psychological discourses about mathematical objects that
don't start and end with the canons of mathematical theory (which, of
course, only encapsulate the object/process relations). So, there are
limits to how much mathematical enculturation one wants to encourage in
future mathematics teachers." David Kirshner

I thought it was, somehow, interesting link that "outright hostility" to Vygotskii's idea of that there are different ways of development of "scientific concepts" and also different weight of each one of them (these different developmental processes) in the camp or area of distinct objects of knowledge - like in arithmetic and language, by one side, and sociology and natural sciences. by the other.

According to him "In arithmetic the child assimilate a certain method of thinking with no dependence from the material she/he uses to solve a task. In sociology and natural sciences the material is the concrete reality that the concept reflects. So, it seems to me that the ways of scientific concepts development in arithmetic and sociology can be someway different" (In an attached chapter titled Scientific and everyday concepts development in school age of the Portuguese version of EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY)

dkirsh@lsu.edu
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge LA 70803-4728