RE: expanding boundary objects

From: Polin, Linda (Linda.Polin@pepperdine.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 12:03:05 PST

Mike,

I think this:

http://www.parc.xerox.com/ops/members/brown/storytelling/JSB15-practice-rail
s-for-k.html

excerpt:

There were two communities of practice being brought together, around the
boundary object, which was, first, this technology, and second, now, a set of criteria used in a phase gate to
move technology from research to manufacturing.

  And we can now use the steps of this phase gate, this process, to
negotiate a practice, the meaning of the critical parameters, the latitudes that would be involved, and so on and so
forth. And so around this boundary object, we had to construct a new kind of
narrative that actually enabled us, for at least that particular event, to
create some shared trust. To let this idea flow from one community of
practice to another.

Linda Polin