Re: easing up

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 19:27:50 PDT

Mike,

I do not credit the times for the criticism that peers provide each other but
rather a stage in the phylogenetic development of a discipline. I made
mention of The times in which Vygotsky lived because of the 'cult of
personality' that surrounded russian science during Vygotsky's times and the
criticism which toook place was rather vocal and derogatory.

As I mentioned earlier I believe criticism to be embedded within the
phylogenesis of social discourse, it is the manner in which this criticism is
displayed which is the sign of the times. As has been mentioned earlier the
British style of discourse is much more critical of the method which members
on XMCA use to communicate and anyone who would utilize this communication
style would be up against a great barrier indeed. Once again language and
how people personally define words as well as use those words is presenting a
mini crisis within our ranks isn't it Mike?

My point regarding emotions is that many times when people RELY on emotions
for communicating, the only message that is communcated is of raw emotion.
Raw emotions either cements alliances or continues to alienate those who
disagree. However, if the speaker is aware of the power of emotions then of
course this would be a tool the speaker could use to solicite sympathy in the
audience and possibly win over sceptics. I was commenting that my post
regarding 'real world' contexts was of the raw emotion variety. Your
mediation helped me to view it as such and I plan on learning from your
mediation.

I am beginning to understand the Tower of Babble metaphor as I continue my
attempts at being understood.

Eric