Re(3): pushing metaphors of half bakedness

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 08:41:50 PDT

kathryn scrobe:

>>bill I heard on our national public radio CBC about a strain of
>>sourdough that comes from whitehorse and is about 100 years old. makes
>>fine bread.
>>
>>kathryn

to which Martin responded:

>This weekend I am taking some time out in Belgium. I am particularly fond
>of their lembic beers. The fermentation process uses yeast which is in
>walls and atmosphere of the brewhouse rather than yeast brought in for the
>process. The fermentation is unique and distinct to the location where it
>happens and is all the more interesting because it has emerged from that
>location in that time. As Phil says, IBM knowledge is inevitably IBM
>knowledge.

in which i'm reminded of the sourdough bread from my early years growing
up in san francisco - and i always miss its particular sharpness which i
don't find in the sourdough rye breads in Riga, nor in the sourdough
breads here in Denver - though a particular buttermilk sourdough at one
bakery is close.

seems to me it's about genres, with their own particular histories - and
as Mike pointed out about the discourse of Luria and Vygotsky about the
crisis of psychology, it has its own particular history that must also be
understood, which shaped the genre of the discourse - no, not shaped, that
too determinative - interplayed-with would perhaps be a better verb -

        but what is our, _our_, as here with xmca, relationship with a crisis of
psychology? how does it affect our work.
        (and Eva just now caught in a virtual snarl of electronic webs - that's
certainly a crisis)
        and our psychology which does most certainly as Bill points out include
bunnies and skateboards and now metaphoric artifacts of the Yukon and
Belgium - a local brewery here in colorado was sued by the trappists in
belgium for the brewery's assertion that they too were serving a trappist
brew!

phillip
* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white