pushing metaphors of half bakedness

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 16:22:06 PDT

And don't forget the closely guarded strains of starter dough that gives each
baker's bread its uniqueness.

--- Eva Ekeblad <eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se> wrote:
> At 03.40 -0600 01-10-22, Sanusi scrobe:
> >I'm just wondering about the value of that punching down activity. Just as
> >there are breads that require no punching down, are there academic
> activities
> >that don't involve -- here I am at a loss for words, but whatever you would
> >want to call the academic equivalent of punching down?
>
> Hmm... how literally should a metaphor be taken?
>
> Punched down, flattened ideas and egos... hmmm... perhaps that is more like
> opening doors and windows to a chilling breeze just as the sweet dough is
> rising. Bad timing, little concern. Flat bread. Tough chewing.
>
> Whereas kneading the dough, mulling over ideas (brooding, Alena ;-) ...
> kneading the text, guess I mean editing by self or other... always
> necessary, and takes a skilled hand at the craft, non? (or perhaps even the
> art) of knowing how this or that type of dough needs to be handled when it
> responds in this or that way.
>
> Eva

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]