Re: metaphors of half bakedness

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 06:13:40 PDT

At 03.40 -0600 01-10-22, Sanusi scrobe:
>I'm just wondering about the value of that punching down activity. Just as
>there are breads that require no punching down, are there academic activities
>that don't involve -- here I am at a loss for words, but whatever you would
>want to call the academic equivalent of punching down?

Hmm... how literally should a metaphor be taken?

Punched down, flattened ideas and egos... hmmm... perhaps that is more like
opening doors and windows to a chilling breeze just as the sweet dough is
rising. Bad timing, little concern. Flat bread. Tough chewing.

Whereas kneading the dough, mulling over ideas (brooding, Alena ;-) ...
kneading the text, guess I mean editing by self or other... always
necessary, and takes a skilled hand at the craft, non? (or perhaps even the
art) of knowing how this or that type of dough needs to be handled when it
responds in this or that way.

Eva