Re: Phylogenetic Math Concepts applied to Ontological Math Growth

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 15:29:27 PDT

"(...) I advocate IQ tests becasue it measures a clients ability to manipulate abstract concepts".
Eric

If you let me say a few words on the cotation of yours transcribed above...

It is important to have in mind - and say - that there are two kinds of abstract concepts (everyday ones and social or scientific ones - at least according to Vygotsky in the complete version of Thinking and Speach, published in Portuguese under the title The construction of Thinking and Speach - I do not know what is the title of it in English). So, in my humble view, IQ tests are usefull only to "mesure" the level of scholl literacy of a subject or, in other words, to verify his competence in operatting formally with social or scientific concepts which ought to be taught in school (Cole and Scribner had yet depicted it). Therefore, I myself also have nothing against them - if, of course, we're interested just on knowing the level of school literacy of people.