mathematical objects

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 10:47:22 PDT

Locally we have had a lot of discussion about the ontological status
of mathematical objects and at least some folks associated with LCHC
are deeply concerned with the question of why teach math and if one
teachers it, how?

In this regard I recommend the work of Joe Goguen reachable via lchc
web page and anna sfard, who I believe has published the papers I have
seen from her on this topic.

In this regard, we should also be considering Davydov and his views.

Its a fascinating topic which would deserve its own set of common readings/
discusion and I am failing to keep up with the crisis discussion, so I
have little right to speak here.
mike