Re: history and a general science

From: Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 07:23:00 PDT

Despite the recognition of the importance of diversity and pluralism, it seems to me - in my humble view - that a General Psichology is something desirable to increase the episthemological status of Psychology as a science - a science between Biology and Sociology (that is interested both on physical phenomenon under psychical ones and on psychical functioning).

Therefore,
a General Psychology probably would be a disicipline that articulates the biological and sociological dimensions in a kind of creative sintesis. Couldn't the whole be integrated by those wholes you reffer - without any supression of all diversity and pluralism?
  Finally, let me note that I am not looking for The One Science "to rule
  them all and in the darkness bind them" (Tolkien's Ring). There should
  still be pluralism, but a pluralism of Wholes, rather than the present
  piece-meal Babel. No one science can imagine all the ways the world is with
  us, but equally no science should define its object in such a way that it
  cannot be pursued across all possible borders.
  JAY.