literacies

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 15:23:01 PDT

Last spring I inquired about people's suggestions for readings to be used in
a broadly based course on literacy. I was reminded that I had not sent along
the promised responses, so here they are. Thanks to all who responded. A lot
of water under the bridge since then, so when I can get my hands on it,
I will send along the course syllabus and readings. FY collective information.
mike

----
Literacy refs

Check Kress and vanLeeuwen's 1995 (Reading Images: The grammar of visual design) and van Leeuwen's later book (2000, I think) on "speech, music, sound". Also --- "constructing critical literacies" by Muspratt, Luke, and Freebody (Eds); "Literacy in contexts" Alan Luke and Pam Gilbert (Eds).

I like Gee's definition, according to which literacy is the ability to control languages (that is, to participate in discourses) other than that the primary discourse within which a person is raised. (Gee, J. (1991). What is literacy? In C. Mitchell & K. Weiler (Eds.), Rewriting literacy: Culture and the discourse of the other, pp. 3-11. New York: Bergin & Garvey).

A little bit about mathematical literacy can be found in: Rittenhouse, P.S. (1998). The teacher's role in mathematical conversation:Stepping in and stepping out. In M. Lampert & M. L. Blunk (Eds.), Talking mathematics in school: Studies of teaching and learning. (163-189). Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge University Press.

Smagorinsky, P., & O'Donnell-Allen, C. (1998). Reading as mediated and mediating action: Composing meaning for literature through multimedia interpretive texts. Reading Research Quarterly, 33, 198-226.

Smagorinsky, P. (1995). Constructing meaning in the disciplines: Reconceptualizing Writing Across the Curriculum as Composing Across the Curriculum. American Journal of Education, 103, 160-184.

Cope and Kalantzis, Multiliteracies: Literacy Learning and the Design of Social Futures, Routledge, 2000

Kevin Robins and Frank Webster: The Technical Fix: Education, Computers and Industry, Macmillan, London 1989

C. A. Bowers, The Cultural Dimensions of Educational Computing: Understanding the Non-Neutrality of Technology, New York: Teachers College Press, 1988

Mike some references from UK writing which may have not made it over the Atlantic...

These are a bit old T. Solomonides & L. Levidow (Eds.), Compulsive Technology London: Free Association Books. This is an edited volume from a European Radical Science Collective John Beynon and Hughie Mackay " Computers into classrooms : more questions than answers /London ; Washington, D.C. : Falmer Press, 1993 Which questioned the prevailing wisdom of computers in the classroom

( and other stuff by John Benyon).

Times of the Technoculture Kevin Robins, Frank Webster, Routledge Theories of the Information Society Frank Webster 1995) Routledge,; ISBN: 0415105749

Spaces of Identity David Morley, Kevin Robins, 1995) Routledge, ISBN: 0415095972.

There is, as I am sure you are aware an interesting piece on your own server written by Bruce Jones.

There is some stuff relating to literacies of education professionals on http://www.theknownet.com/ict/ict_vet/index.html

and humbly http://ifets.gmd.de/periodical/vol_4_99/martin_owen.html

Hull, G. (Ed.), Changing work, changing workers: Critical perspectives on language, literacy, and skill. Albany: State University of New York Press.

Reinking, D., McKenna, M. C., Labbo, L. D., & Kieffer, R. D. (Eds.) (1998). Handbook of literacy and technology. Mahawah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Kamil, M. L., Mosenthal, P. B., Pearson, P. D. & Barr, R. (Eds.) (2000). Handbook of reading research Vol. III. Mahawah, NJ: Erlbaum.