Re: methods/methodologies?

From: SANUSI ALENA LEE (sanusi@ucsu.colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 16:38:50 PDT

Diane wrote:

> hi mike - i suppose i've been using these words interchangeably - is there
> a substantial difference between method and methodology?
> i'm assuming method describes the what of inquiry, and methodology
> describes why the what is what it is... ?

Well, if pushed, I would say that I think of "method" as closer to
"technique" or "stepwise proceeding" and "methodology" as method plus the
ontological and epistemological underpinnings that contextualize any
particular way of proceeding. So lab manipulation would be a method, the
methodology being objectivist assumptions and positivist goals that make
lab manipulation meaningful. So method and methodology are intimately
connected, although distinguishable. I like to think of methodology (if
this is a reasonably valid way of thinking of it!) as the incorporation of
old theories into the underpinnings that we need as we go on our way to
new theories. (I have a metatheory of theories as ways of seeing.)

--Alena