Re: contact

From: Garai László (garai@mtapi.hu)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 15:24:13 PDT

Re: contactDear Carl!

----- Original Message -----
  From: Carl Ratner
  To: Garai László
  Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 1:15 PM
  Subject: Re: contact

  I wonder whether you will attend iscrat in Amsterdam in June. That would be a nice opportunity to meet. I think that iscrat is pretty disorganized and has no clear direction, but at least it's nice to meet some interesting people there. I will give a paper in June.
It would be a nice occasion for meeting each other. However, I decided after the Aarhus Congress to break with the ISCRAT: it got to be no more the same Georg Rückriem founded fifteen years ago and we confirmed, for the first time in Amsterdam. Neither were the Congress the same as the splendid congresses in Berlin, Lahti and Moscow used to be.

   I remember that there was strong interest in Vygotsky in Budapest. Has that continued?
   Last year I spent 2 weeks in POland. It was very interesting to see how much development has occurred there. But I didn't see much work in activity theory, cultural psych. of Vygotsky. Perhaps Hungary is more advanced in this area.
I am quite ashamed by answering you the truth: By no means. Anything that could be named "activity" gets interpreted according to either behaviorist or cognitivist patterns, and anything that could be related to any cultural issue is interpreted according to either psychoanalist or psychosocial (cf. socialization) pattern.

   Please keep me informed about the work you and your colleagues are doing.
http://www.jate.u-szeged.hu/~garai/Toolandsign.htm

http://www.jate.u-szeged.hu/~garai/Strukt.htm#Split
  My new one (Cultural Psychology: Theory & Practice) will be published in February-March. Some day when we meet I will give you a copy!
Thanks, Carl.

Kind regards

Laszlo

Prof. Laszlo GARAI, Dr. Acad. Sc.
Head of Dept of Economic Psychology, University of Szeged
Research adviser of Research Institute for Psychology, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
Budapest, PO Box 398. HUNGARY - 1394
Phone: (361) 23-95-905 or (361) 35-00-555 (219) Fax: (361) 239-67-27
e-mail: garai@eco.u-szeged.hu
Internet: www.jate.u-szeged.hu/~garai/garai_e.htm http://www.jate.u-szeged.hu/~garai/garai_e.htm