Re: Brain-related and culture-related hemisheres of the psychology

From: Garai László (garai@mtapi.hu)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 04:18:26 PDT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
  To: xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
  Sent: Monday, October 08, 2001 2:37 AM
  Subject: Re: Brain-related and culture-related hemisheres of the psychology

  In a message dated 10/7/2001 2:00:20 PM Central Daylight Time, garai@mtapi.hu writes:

    By the way, when I worked on the topic of the inter-relation between a brain-related and a culture-related psychology I found that that ecological logic while being unproductive in the psychology's culture-related hemisphere in itself, however, turns out to be rather usefull for linking these two parts to each other: I found such a performance, in particular, in ethology's idea about territorial behaviour of populations and in... Vygotsky school's theory of functional organs.

  The discussion of actual differences in brain functioning brings me to Vygotsky's discussion of spontaneous v scientific brain processes. In order for me to understand these different brain processes it is important I use the developmental framework that measures progress. In step with my previous post; this framework would measure the movement of a person from 'not p' to 'p'. Now, if we are discussing two different brain functions it is possible that person could use either functions or both in combination when that person progresses from 'not p' to 'p'. Then Laszlo a question I have in order to attempt a clarification of my own thinking regarding your new crisis paperis the following, when you are discussing ecological factors which determine a hemisphere of brain function is it similar to Vygotsky's ideas of scientific v spontaneous thinking?
I guess, the correct answer would be "no" because by Vygotsky scientific vs sontaneous thinking are arranged hierarchically, the former being superior to the latter, while I think of the "hemisphere of brain function ", on one hand, and of the hemisphere of cultural issues, on the other, as symmetrically opposed to each other. I mean: symmetrically opposed in our scientific thinking when I don't believe our ideas about culture should be based on (or deduced from) our ideas about brain. On the contrary, as regards to the reality of the brain-related mind vs a culture-related mind I could answer to your question
  Also, are you a developmentalist and if not what would you view as your personel theoretical fram! ework?
"yes", I am a "developmentalist": I think (similarly to LSV) of the mind that is already culture-related as superior if compared with the one that is still brain-related.

Laszlo