by the way... he wrote...

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 21:27:39 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
> By the way, when I worked on the topic of the inter-relation between a
>> brain-related and a culture-related psychology I found that that
>ecological
>> logic while being unproductive in the psychology's culture-related
>> hemisphere in itself, however, turns out to be rather usefull for
>linking
>> these two parts to each other: I found such a performance, in
>particular,
>> in ethology's idea about territorial behaviour of populations and in...
>> Vygotsky school's theory of functional organs.

"by the way?"
wowsa. seems to me this is gigantic.

i have studied psychology for as long as i could stand it -
i admit by the time i reached so-called educational psychology,
i decided that the entire "field" or so-called discipline of academic
psychology was a fraud -
again, from having studied it, although, gosh, understanding others surely
depends upon a capacity
for psychological evaluation - BUT

psychology has never been designed as a judgement call, to me,

(which is not to say psychology has not been practiced as judgement... but
heck. we're ethical aren't we...?)

anyhoo, in the academic realms, it strikes me as highly ideological, in
terms of understanding' others.
the standards of the white middle class
male researcher are SURELY not the standards that rule in THIS day and
age,
are they?

whither culture? gender?

i mea, for all the pretenses of liberal thinking,
the methods and ideological "eithor-or" thinking seem to dominate much of
what is valued here -=

if we were to explore an historical view, the ideas about "how-to" might
shift towards "why-bother?" in more useful ways? i mean,
what is the pint of "us" if not to change?

diane,
an idealist, for sure.

surely the

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2