An introduction to Co-genetic Logic

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 22:01:13 PDT

Dewey,

The reference for Herbst's Co-genetic logic is Kinderman & Valsiner's Editing
of a compilation entitled, "Person/Context Relationships". Understanding
Co-genetic logic is based in the relationship people have with their given
context. My example of "p", "not p" & "p and not p" are a distortion of what
Herbst puts forth in his paper regarding co-genetic logic. Herbst introduces
co-genetic logic with the beautiful image of a circle. The circle is "p",
the inside is "not p" and the image as a whole is "p and not p". The logic
of these constructs is not within boolean logic, nor does it lie within any
other logic other then what Herbst entitles, co-genetic logic.

In order to better illustrate Herbst's idea of his logic I present to you the
scenario of a teacher who is addressing a student who does not possess any
scientific knowledge (by scientific knowledge I mean that knowledge which is
passed from one person to another as accepted truth). The teacher in this
scenario would be representative of "p". The student in this scenario would
be representative of "not p". The interaction between the two would be "p
and not p". Even though the entire spectrum of possibilities is represented
this does not presume an individual phenomenon can fully represent themselves
independent of the other individual phenomenon.

My understanding is that within Herbst's Co-genetic logic the full
relationship is represented by "p", "not p" & "p and not p".

This is not linear mathematics. It is not even the mathematics which
represents physics. the closest logical scheme I can find that resembles
what Herbst is attempting is the writing of Wittgenstein.

Somebody please respond that they would like to discuss Wittgenstein.
Besides having much to say, Wittgenstein's psyche was highly unstable and
therefore (I know this is a stretch but the human mind works in such bizarre
ways) we can start to address LSV's idea that in order to build a General
Psychology we must start from the abnormal and move to the normal.

Much to say but even more to think about,
eric