Re: Either hard, or soft social sciences?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 20:01:42 PDT

In a message dated 10/2/2001 8:03:06 PM Central Daylight Time, garai@mtapi.hu
writes:

> How these two halves (of various levels) constitute one whole, that is the
> question. Whenever the psychology goes without any answer to the question
> of the actual level, that theoretical or/and methodological lack amounts to
> this science's actual crisis.

In my attempt to communicate my emotions regarding the recent events I have
once again managed to alienate those I so greatly want to embrace. I am not
a member of this community so that I can name call and degrade. I am a
memeber of this on-line discussion group so that I may embrace the varied and
great thinkings and doings that all members of this community have
experienced. However, there remains one great obstacle; language. People
who have been members of this community longer then I have may have already
experienced this language barrier and are aware of the method for addressing
issues in a way that does not offend,unless of course that is what the poster
attends. This method I would refer to as the hard science of psychology. So
I flounder in my soft science attempts (emotional reactions) at communication
and I get responses that question my intellectual ability and the whole
community gets responses that quantify (through the accepted hard science
method) my flounderings. I am left with two choices: I can either be
offended that people react the way they do to my post ( an example of soft
science) or I can dig my heels in and come up with past literature examples
of how people in my position have come out on top (an example of hard
sciences). Either way nothing has been accomplished. The compromise would
be that those who understand the methodology acknowledge that there will be
those who exist at a different developmental understanding of that
methodology and that those who don't understand the methodology acknowledge
they are beginners and aren't afraid to ask questions.

I have entered into XMCA full of emotions and passions yet lacking in an
understanding of the methodology that will effectively communicate these
emotions without alienating the community I so want to enter into discourse
with. The crisis in psychology is present here and now. How we resolve it
is up to us. Laszlo, I believe you are a gift to this community and it is
time we address the crisis.

Eric