Re: nationalism/which crisis?

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 20:34:15 PDT

i hear your question mike - and feel conflicted.
on the one hand, a discussion about global politics and culture could be
valuable,

but by the same hand, this list is dominated by Americans who hold
particular nationalist perspectives. i wonder how fruitful such a
discussion would be...

on the other hand, the "crisis' in psychology pales in relation to the
events of the past few weeks.

might it be possible to explore less political science,
and more social activity in light of the real-life crisis? i've
appreciated bill and phillip's remarks quite a lot, as efforts to
understand:

i'd certainly appreciate more of the same kinds of analysis,
but i would be discomforted by the nationalist assumptions underpinning
any discussion of 'terrorism' - there IS a psychology to all of this,
an intersection of ideology and dissension,
-- but to find a way to discuss the crisis of NYC in ways that are not
implicating personal patriotisms may be too thin ice.

perhaps there is a different reading, a way to locate a discussion,
one that addresses the social realms of global violence. this is surely an
opportunity for CHAT to be more globally-relevant,
more aware, and so on.

?
just thinking out loud,
diane

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2