Discussion of Crisis or Terrorism?

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 16:08:24 PDT

Humbly, I submit my opinion regarding the 9/11 events and its disruption upon
the discussion of this group. As was the case with everybody's life, mine
was deeply effected by the brutal murder of more then 4000 people in the
United States. This does not mean I have never been effected by the brutal
murder of those outside the US it is just that I had always thought that most
Americans go about their life as if they are living a destiny and the events
on 9/11 certainly proved how surrealistic American life had become. Suddenly
production companies were questioning movie content (something legislation
has never done well) law enforcement officials could have a 'ground zero' for
the expectation of fulfilling their job description, putting other's safety
above their own. The slap in the face of the September 11 bombing did more
to resurrect the American people then any event after the bombing of Pearl
Harbor has ever done. I believe Americans no longer live in a surrealistic
society, we are no longer soft watches hanging around waiting for a better
option. The options are here and each person is expected to take control of
their lives in order to move forward. Some have chosen to act, and some have
chosen to intellectualize. This is the crisis. Because the people who have
acted have seen success from their actions they assume all must act. Because
people who have intellectualized have seen success they assume all must
intellectualize. I contend it does not have to be an either or. No, instead
the question is, what conceptual framework will we construct that will allow
those who want to act, to act and those who want to intellectualize, to
intellectualize; without one camp feeling as if they are doing all the work
and the other camp is doing nothing? This is not a time for finger pointing
or name calling, it is a time for unity. Whether Kissinger was a terrorist
is immaterial. People who attain such points of power always have the option
of abusing that power. More importantly the question is are average citizens
conducting themselves as terrorists when they sit back and do nothing? Are
average citizens acting as terrorists when they place all of the blame for a
social problem on one institution? Are average citizens acting as terrorists
when they deny being a member of an organization even if they act in the same
manner as a member of that organization? Do any of these questions make
sense? Maybe, maybe not. But just the same it does not make any sense to me
that there could be any reason for an average citizen to support what
occurred on September 11th. No Goddamn reason at all!

Eric