Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 11:20:35 PDT

from Ralph Waldo Emerson in his essay on Nature

Nature is made to conspire with spirit to emancipate us. Certain
mechanical changes, a small alteration in our local position, apprizes us
of a dualism. We are strangely affected by seeing the shore from a moving
ship, from a balloon, or through the tints of an unusual sky. The least
change in our point of view gives the whole world a pictorial air.
. . .
In these caes, by mechanical means, is suggested the difference between
the observer and the spectacle---between man and nature. Hence arises a
pleasure mixed with awe; I may say, a low degree of the sublime is felt,
from the fact, probably, that man is hereby apprized that whilst the world
is a spectable, something in himself is stable.

kathie

Words are the thunders of the mind.
Words are the refinement of the flesh.
Words are the responses to the thousand curvaceous moments---
     we just manage it---
     sweet and electric, words flow from the brain
     and out the gate of the mouth.

We make books of them, out of hesitations and grammar.
We are slow, and choosy.
This is the world.
                                            Mary Oliver - The Leaf and the
Cloud