Re: FYI: another friggin' petition regarding war

From: Ruth A. Wiebe Berry (raberry@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 06:43:27 PDT

For a way to be active at this critical time, check out the following
from the People For the American Way. This is NOT an e-mail petition,
but suggestions for calling or writing the president and federal and
local legislators.

Ruth Berry
University at Buffalo

Subject: ALERT: Help Safeguard Lives And Liberty
    ACTIVIST NETWORK -- People For the American Way
    Alert Date: Sept. 19, 2001 -- Circulate Until: Sept. 28, 2001

    URGE OUR LEADERS TO CAREFULLY CONSIDER RESPONSES TO TERRORISM

Like all Americans, we continue to struggle with the aftermath
of the September 11 terrorist attacks. We grieve for the
victims and their families and we salute the courage and heroism
that so many people have shown. We applaud the efforts of
political leaders at all levels who have sought to bring the
nation together.

Legislation is now being drafted at the state and federal
levels aimed at bringing the perpetrators of these attacks to
justice and at preventing such acts of terror from occurring in
the future.

We, too, are committed to these goals. At the same time, we
remain committed to protecting the fundamental civil liberties
of all Americans. In order to do so, we ask that you take the
following action.

ACTION:

Call or write the president and your federal and local
legislators and tell them that now, more than ever, it is
crucial that they protect the fundamental civil liberties of all
Americans.

ACTION PLAN:

Over the past week we have become increasingly alarmed by the
willingness of some of our elected officials to support
legislation that would erode the liberties and freedoms that are
at the core of American life. In many states and in Congress,
sweeping legislation has been proposed -- and, in a few
instances, already passed -- that could severely limit our
liberties and freedoms. More may be on the way. Public
hearings must be held to guarantee that good intentions do not
yield unintended consequences. Only then should votes be held.

Passage of the federal hate crimes legislation now pending in
Congress is essential to prosecuting those who would perpetrate
these crimes.

Help defend the civil liberties that are fundamental to our
democracy. Write to President Bush, to members of Congress and
to your local legislators. Implore them to slow down, to fully
examine all legislation with public hearings, to guard your
civil liberties and to pass hate crimes legislation.

For a list of your elected officials with complete contact
information, visit Project Vote Smart:

      http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml

    President George W. Bush
    The White House
    Washington, D.C. 20500

                      *** TALKING POINTS ***

Include the following points in your letter:

1. All decisions should be made in a manner consistent
with: the Constitution and Bill of Rights; principles of a
democratic society and an accountable government.

2. Individuals should not be targeted solely based upon their
race, religion, ethnic background or religion. We support
passage of the strengthened federal hate crimes legislation now
pending in Congress.

3. Though perhaps unintended, sweeping legislation that is
enacted quickly often has far-reaching and damaging
consequences. In this case, these consequences could severely
damage our rights and liberties. We support full public
hearings at which proposals are carefully considered.

4. We cannot allow this terrorist attack to erode the liberties
and freedoms that are at the core of the American Way of life,
and that have been a model of democracy for the world.

                    *** OTHER RESOURCES ***

These links will take you to statements and articles that may
also be helpful in crafting your letter.

    - Letter from PFAW President Ralph G. Neas to President Bush

          http://www.pfaw.org/news/press//2001-09-19.322.phtml

    - PFAW President Ralph G. Neas Responds To Terrorist Attacks

          http://www.pfaw.org

    - Recent articles from the Boston Globe and Newsday

          http://www.eyeonbush.org/news/#other

People For the American Way organizes and mobilizes Americans
to fight for fairness, justice, civil rights and the freedoms
guaranteed by the Constitution. PFAW monitors the Religious
Right at the local, state and national levels, lobbies for
progressive legislation, and helps build communities of
activists.

      To join our email Activist Network, please go to:

        http://www.pfaw.org/activist

      To remove yourself from the Activist Network, please go to:

* Please type in your address as it appears in the 'TO' field *

You can also reply to this message, INCLUDING THE FULL TEXT OF
THIS MESSAGE, to webmaster@pfaw.org with the subject "unadopt"

PLEASE SUPPORT OUR EFFORTS -- JOIN PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY

People For the American Way depends on the support of
individuals like you. Join us today and know that you are
helping to keep alive the true American spirit: tolerance, free
speech, protection for minorities, equal opportunity, and
freedom for all religious faiths without government intrusion.

To become a member of People For the American Way, please call
1-800-326-7329 or go to:

      https://secure.pfaw.org/join

Donations to People For the American Way are not tax-deductible
as charitable contributions or as business expenses under IRC
Sec. 162(e).

People For the American Way
2000 M Street, NW | Suite 400 | Washington, DC 20036
http://www.pfaw.org | pfaw@pfaw.org
1-800-326-PFAW | 202/467-4999
endalert 010919.US.AttackonAmerica.Write_President.ny30

Ruth A. Wiebe Berry, Ph.D.
Graduate School of Education
505 Baldy Hall
University at Buffalo, State University of New York
Buffalo, NY 14260-1000

Tel: 716.645.2455 x1153
Fax: 716.645.3161

mailto:raberry@acsu.buffalo.edu

"We think we read each other, and forget that we write each other." -- Morss