Re: Re(2): [p-i] September 1 1939 and following

From: Rosa Graciela Montes (rmontes@siu.buap.mx)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 17:31:27 PDT

Hi Phillip and Mike,

I'm not sure I'm able to pinpoint with any greater clarity
what was behind my sentence. Although Mike's comments
about the conservativeness of responding based on the
past points to what I mean/intuit.

I'm just having glimmers of the inadequacy of our old tools
and the sometimes shallow, in terms of time, "expertise"
with which we respond in the present to the
present with a view towards the future.

When things change too fast there's no time to
adapt our tools to new situations. We are left to
using our old ones. We extrapolate from what is similar in
our previous experience and assume a "sameness" to deal with
the new. Yet the differences, in times of rapid change, may
be more important than the similarities and we are
unprepared.

That's where I was going with that thought.
--Rosa