Re: Re(2): RE: a contrast [another point of view]

From: Paul H.Dillon (illonph@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 15:17:57 PDT

> But the disturbance lifts the curtain on an underlying contradiction. If
we
> do not address that contradiction then the conditions that catalysed the
> disturbance still exist, and we can expect it to be replicated in some way
> but through the actions of different proximate actors.

I'm wondering how you would characterize that contradiction? Do you believe
this is simply an issue of global economic injustice? The bin Laden
networks aren't representative of that from everything I've read. I'm
wondering how you see the mediations between the fundamental contradiction,
whatever you might see that to be, and the specific manifestation of bin
Laden's jihad.

>Is America concerned with the world, or just America? Or
> does it genuinely believe that there is no difference?

America?? Some americans are concerned with the world beyond the USA, most
aren't. Most weren't even concerned about "America" until this happened.
Now everyone's waving flags. The effect is still to be seen since this new
patriotism has no nation, no ethnic group to hate. I know about the
violence but believe it to be representative of at most 25% not most
americans. That makes it possible that the "new patriotism" that has awoken
will necessarily be a patriotism in which americans have to face their
country's deep relationship to the rest of the world in a new way. '

Beyond the impact of seeing those towers explode in flame, I think the
greatest "unthinkable" was seeing all the people in Manhattan saying hello
to each other, the famous barriers dropping. Like the song says, if it can
happen there, it can happen anywhere. This could have favorable domestic
political consequences. Favorable for peace that is. But I'm probably
being to pollyanish and hopeful, sadly.

Paul H. Dillon