RE: New York City

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 11:58:18 PDT

Dear Rachel--

Thanks for your interesting thought-provoking message. Here is my
response. You wrote,
> If Jay had been one of those five thousand, had been one of those
people
> jumping from the top floors as the only alternative to burning alive,
how
> would you have felt? Would you have talked about justified revenge
for
> imperialist wrongs? If it had been Eugene's wife and child on one of
the
> highjacked planes, dying horribly with no hope of rescue, would he
have
> been so quick to talk about Afghani anguish as justifying American
> bodies? Perhaps it's just a little too easy to rhetoricize when it's
not
> the blood of people you know.

You are right that if this tragedy had happened with people I knew, I'd
be paralyzed. However, I'd hope that people who are not paralyzed would
help to avoid future tragedies like that, especially tragedies that
people close to me, living in the same country may be involved. I'd hope
that there would be people who would not allow some politicians to
hijack the tragedy for their own political purposes that often produce
more tragedies like that.

In his short term, I can see a pattern of how Bush administration
systematically uses, exploits, and promotes crises for its political
goals -- economic, energy, and now war. I wonder if this ruling by
crises is Bush's way to deal with his lack of mandate in the past
election....

Rachel, I do not think that anybody on xmca tries to justify what the
terrorists did on September 11th. What many of us try to do is to
understand what involved in that, what is going on, and how we can be a
part of that.

As you correctly noticed, I and many other xmca people do not have much
discussion of terrorist tendencies in Arab and Islam communities and
countries. But, since, I do not have much connection with Arab or Islam
communities, it is difficult for me to discuss the issues from and with
their points of view. Also, I think that my community and my country
have now more power and potential to do harm than their ones. I wish
xmca had more (or any) voices from Arab and Islam communities....

In my view, without discussion of what is terrorism, what causes it and
how to break its cycle, it is difficult if not impossible to deal with
it. Your historical examples are very good and helpful. However, I'm not
sure that retaliations, demonizing, or sweeping military strikes against
countries and peoples will help but rather can become part of terrorism.

What do you think?

Eugene