RE: tragedy in New York

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 08:47:38 PDT

Hi everybody--

I do not how much we can trust such reports. My doubts are based not on
knowledge but on level of unquestionable disinformation emerging each
day (remember FBI report about 9 people "armed with knives" arrested at
NY airport a few days ago?).

Instead of an opportunity for soul searching, for reflection on how our
ways of lives and actions contribute to past and current tragedies there
is war drum beating. Political opposition and political debates have
been collapsed replaced by religious and patriotic rituals and symbolism
and propaganda. The CNN highlight is not that "America at tragedy" but
"America at war." There is building war unity. Any critique of
government is considered to be as an act of terrorism. Democratic
political processes are stole. Administration demands more power for
itself, FBI, CIA, and military at expense of rights and needs of people.
In Arizona there is the first new victim of new America war -- Indian
immigrant killed by "patriotic" mob.

What do you think?

Eugene