Re(2): Re(2): a contrast [another point of view]

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 08:24:43 PDT

thanks paul,

i am struggling, to be sure, with all the contradictory information and
characterizations -
a mosque here in montreal just released a statement expressing a
difference between muslim practice and the ideology of the "jihad" - a
holy war - saying that this is not a position shared by most muslims in
the world,
but is one shared by a minority of powerful Islamic forces, especially the
Taliban gov't in Afghanistan -

it's naive (of me) to hope that peace has greater support globally than
wars, holy or otherwise,

but from what i've read about muslim faith,

it is about self-control, and pacifism.

diane,

really rather mostly confused - but
i would like to express gratitude to those of who are posting from various
sources, bringing the discussion towards discussion, and not argument - :)
thanks

>diane,
>
>I know very little about Islamic/Arabic countries but a little and your
>characterization, the characterization of behavior as proscribed in the
>Q'uran is an ideal much the way the American ideals of liberty, justice ,
>equality, faith, hope, and charity are ideals. Furthermore these are
>ideals
>for Islamic people amongst themselves, I read a book once on Islamic law
>in
>which the rather successful cohabitation of the different religious
>communities (Islamic, Jewish, Christian, Hindu) within the framework of
>shari'a law was described. Islam did not persecute or proscribe the
>practice
>of other religions within the framework of recognizing that here and now,
>shari'a law was god's law on earth. But the idea that Islam is grounded
>in "peace, community, tolerance, and mutual respect." is certainly partial
>since we all know that Islam also has the central notion of "jihad" in
>which
>the religious and the political are likewise indeterminate. As I
>understand
>it the code you refer to refers to Muslims behavior amongst themselves
>while the jihad refers to behavior toward infidels (at one time as
>political
>conquest) and defintely toward idolaters of Islam itself, great Satans
>(khomeini) who profane sacred places (McDonalds in Saudi Arabia). And if
>you die in the Holy War it's straight to a wonderfully sensual and
>definitely not ethereal heaven. So I wouldn't go so far as to call Islam a
>pacifist order.
>
>It's important to recognize that an anthropologist wrote this. As I read
>it he is describing how bin Laden figures within a certain sentiment,
>maybe
>borrowing from Bourdieu I could call it a certain "historical
>predisposition" that exists among the Islamic world stretching from
>Indonesia to Morocco. A historical predisposition that affects some of
>the
>people all of the time and all (well make that most) of the people some of
>the time. I read the quote as saying that bin Laden rides that historic
>metatheme in the way Khomeini did and that members of Islam do understand
>his behavior that way. He is not a Charly Manson of Islam. He is a hero
>for many Muslims throughout North Africa and the rest of the Islamic world
>from what I've read in USIA reports and other materials. The percentage
>that join that historical predisposition in the coming decades seems to me
>to be a function of the way the U.S. responds to this situation and I'm
>afraid that the Bush government, riding the prevailing climate of blood
>lust, will increase that percentage. Maybe that won't be an inignificant
>factor if those supporters tip the scales of political power in their own
> [...]
"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2