Re: RE: a contrast [another point of view]

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 11:24:05 PDT

>Rather than responding to the arms and armies aspect of this moment, we
>should try working the another side of the problem: access to knowledge.
>
>imho, from a lurker,

thanks linda - i admire your view, you are right, of course, and products
of knowledge without accountability for what that knowledge implies or
infers or incites is troublesome...

personally, right now, today, i am trying to understand what is happening.
so much information is coming forward now, so much of is angry, and so
much has to be interpreted
through press conferences and journalism,
i feel overwhelmed with what is happening, as i say, and the possibility
of determining "what" must be done
is way beyond my grasp -

i am working hard to make sense, now... my excess here is, i'm sure, an
outcome of this effort.

i appreciate your perspective a lot ...

as you note, the civilian outrage is terribly worrisome as racism and
ignorance replace the possibility of
so much unknowns...

diane

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>I don't post on XMCA; I lurk, but you have all enticed me out of the
>shadows
>on this issue. This is a bit of a ramble too.
>
>First, hordes of Americans are not about to go on a rampage or terror
>against Arab-American or Islamic neighbors. Yeah, some idiots will, most
>likely cause they lack another channel such as XMCA to discuss their
>feelings. And frankly, if my daughter or son or husband or mother were in
>the WTC, I might be inclined to do that too. Well, no, of course not. The
>thing I find most disturbing in the US and Western response is the rise of
>'the other' ... lots of West vs. Middle East... lots of good vs. evil...
>lots of nationalism. I have not put a flag outside my house and don't want
>to do so, except on the 4th of July as a decoration. I find the whole
>notion
>of flag waving at this time appalling.
>
>Pardon my escape from AT, but I think that, as a grand community of
>practice, Capitalism misunderstands the consequences of hoarding knowledge
>(which I take to be the coin of the realm) and instead shares only 'help,'
>often in the form of market products. (jees, I hope it only
>misunderstands
>and doesn't come from a deeper meaner intentionality.) The oppression of
>the West is exactly this, imho. We don't export knowledge, just products
>of
>knowledge. This is the marginalization that is keeping folks down (and
>it's
>happening inside the West as well as outside it.) It's cruelly ironic,
>indicative, and sad that in order to hijack a plane as pilots, the
>terrorists had to come reside in the US for several months while they
>attended pilot school here in the USA. How they must have loathed that.
>
>IMHO, assuming he is working for 'his people,' Bin Laden would do better
>hijack corporate scientists and use his millions to set up pharmaceutical
>companies and agribusiness owned and operated by nationals to solve local
>crises in food and medical production based on knowledge bought or
>stolen/liberated from the West. While empowering locally, such
>enterprises
>could also export. India's doing considerably better for its self and a
>growing number of its citizens by supporting a booming programming and
>software development infrastructure which draws outside money.
>
>Rather than responding to the arms and armies aspect of this moment, we
>should try working the another side of the problem: access to knowledge.
>
>imho, from a lurker,
>
>Linda P.

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2