Re: Tragedy in New York

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 16:37:14 PDT

In a message dated 9/14/2001 3:58:25 PM Central Daylight Time,
ematusov@UDel.Edu writes:

> I think it is very productive to focus on what defines "terrorist
> action." Are bombings of Dresden (no military targets at all, more than
> 100,000 civilian casualties) or Hiroshima in WWII, or Tripoli (in
> 1986?), or Baghdad (1991), or Belgrade (2000), or Grozny (Chechnya) are
> acts of (state) terrorism? Where are boundaries of "non-terrorist,
> military action"? How is terrorism defined: by the target and intention
> of the action or by impact on civilians (so-called "collateral damage")?
> Is it OK for the sake of fighting terrorism to bomb a city? These are
> difficult questions that should be decided before any military action is
> taken place.

One of the reflections that follows from Chomsky's words and the BRC's words
is the message that was communicated by these vicous attacks.  I am sure that
neither feel the fury was justified by the emperialism of American
Capitalism, however, it is brutally clear to me that the events on 9/11 are a
clear message that a critical mass of people have become enraged enough with
the priveleged beliefs "Old Money Companies" hold regarding the treatment of
others.  We now live in a world that is expoeriencing a new revolution.
 Possibly the Beatles were profits when they called it Revolution #9?  As a
U.S. Citizen who dearly loves the idea of Nationality and loving one's contry
I can't help but get a little more understanding about how citizen's of less
fortunate countries and circumstances spit on the arrogance of brash
Americans.

I must say the pomp and circumstance of President Bush's National day of
prayer was of proper proportions and necessary.  The compassion of George
Bush the man has cemented his ability to be a courageous leader.  My closing
thoughts is that even though the terroristic act was against the monetary
power of the U.S that does not follow that the U.S should not retaliate.  BIn
Laden is a maniac in the proportion of Hitler.  I believe the most powerful
nation in the world is responsible for not winning a war but winning peace
for all people.  Hopefully this is carried out in a precise way and not
haphazardly.

Eric