Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): Words as commodity/client

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 08:19:59 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>Consider for a moment that when asked to consider a premise beyond the
>realm
>of one's comfort zone the automatice response is one of defense and
>refusal.
>Obviously the goal is to have them in engaged in learning but you assume
>much
>when that is stated as a premise. Go beyond my first sentence Martin and
>critique more of that post you so easily poo-pooed.
>
>eric

But the initial premise is the in the first sentence. A teacher is not a
service provider.As a teacher I do not sell anything The relationship is
not one of service and provision and receipt and a student is not a client.

Elsewhere I have clinets. They contract to me for a service I provide. The
dynamics and obligations on all sides are different. As a teacher I have a
multiplicity of responsibilities and those go beyond the student. In my
case the state pays for both my participation and the participation of my
students (are they the client?).

As a teacher I do not sell anything. We are not involved in any form of
commodification. The student is expected to be more than a receiver of a
service, they are not consummers, customers or clients. Things should not
be reduced to commodity exchange. It is inherently a capitalist way of
seeing the world. It loses sight of other ways of interpreting social
relations.

Martin Owen
Labordy Dysgu- Learning Lab
Prifysgol Cymru Bangor- University of Wales, Bangor