Re: Folie (was re: theory/practice)

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 20:50:50 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>If the doctors still have a little sense they would reply: "We don't
>know."
>They will never understand why a brain has incoherent ideas; they will
>understand no better why another brain has regulated and consistent
>ideas.
>They will believe themselves to be wise, and they will be as mad as the
>lunatic.

phil, dude-guy-ozzie-meister,
i'm confused a lot here.

why does a brain have incoherent ideas - well, first off, coherence is
subject to normalcies of the social, ee-ya, but also basic linguistic
structures - Kristeva, for example, reads transcripts of psychotic
babbling alongside infant babbling as a way to reckon with the notion or
experience of "babbling" - but the difference, obviously, is in
experience, history, and so on. ,

rationalism is both ideological and linguistic, as well as cultural and
social - it isn't rational for an elder woman to ask a six-year old boy to
impregnate her with his semen - it isn't rational to demand answers about
motivation from the engine of a Nash Rambler, or to probe an orange for
natural strains of cyanide that have been prompted by the devil's
interference in orchard development.
 so, why does a brain produce irrational ideas, like relations between
microwaves in the air and messages from aliens,
or satanic spirits who direct human motivation to act, i mean, here IS a
line where most of us can say
"no" - it isn't so much about knowing WHY but as recognizing how
experience and chemistry, biosocial organisms, are infinitely complex, ya?

what neuroscience has learned about dopamine and serotonin, alone, could
consume a lifetime of learning, relations of addictions with irrational
behaviours, fetal-alcohol syndrome,
not to mention psychosocial dis-orders of brain activity,
MRIs produce information about synaptic processes,

so what, really, have you been asking about here?

i've lost the train of thought.
diane

"Waves of hands, hesitations at street corners, someone dropping a
cigarette in a gutter - all are stories. But which is the true story? That
I do not know. Hence I keep my phrases hung like clothes in a cupboard,
waiting for someone to wear them. Thus waiting, thus speculating, making
this note and then another, I do not cling to life."
Virginia Woolf, The Waves, 1931.

     (...life clings to me...)
diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2