Re: PREGUNTA

From: Dr. P. R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 09:30:05 PDT

Guillermo, Seth, eta al,;

 Since I signed up for this list serve earlier, I am now getting mail as
this list starts up...

Here is a gut reaction below to the language question...
I copied to xmca because of there can be unity in diversity (if its done
well)....the more information driven we are the better..

My questions immediately were, when I noted this launching;

Why do we need another listserve on chat? Would they not like to hear xmca
CHATS?
Could they not also participate as many have from all over the world?
Keeping up w/ 1 is enough it seems.. and this puts us (multi/bilinguals into
overtime...darn! who-is-at #!).
Why can't they won't they use xmca or xmca become more multilingual/
multivoiced, archiving chats in all signs and symbols?.

The first obvious thought was language. It would perhaps be more inclusive
of those not totally bilingual...what % of xmca is monolingual? etc
(This is why I initially responded so..)

It would allow multi-bilingual chats and different threads to evolve that
might someday be subjected to study (as is being done on xmca archives).

Given Seth's input, I see it (el grupo de trabajo) as perhaps serving an
xmca -like forum for ISCRAT (not sure if there is one already) or outside
the "North" and those who with a "wider identity' (Erikson, 1868) ..
that would be complimentary and useful, particularly if it's unique feature
would be having a predominanting second/other language for CHAT discussions
etc.

(Funny, initially I had thought of ISCRAT mainly as the European counter
part of the American chat org (as in north and south america) but not so..
It seems to be a link of SIP and ISCRAT?

In any case, although at first I seemed to react "negatively" at the notion
of becoming too cognitively distributed, I for one do like the idea of
having CHAT reach out, and with multiple links and archives, it does provide
that university feel.

I suggest Spanish (and Portuguese interchangebly since we can read each
other somewhat but other languages too).
This has been tried on XMCA but it leaves too many out of it it seems, since
there is an obvious convention established. and seamless communication is
often necessary)

Yo escribo esto arriba en Ingles para que este grupo (xmca) se informe y
para promulgar colaboracion entre "all things CHAT" o sea, todo lo que tenga
que ver con expandir la linea socio-cultural. Me imagino que este grupo (de
trabajo) sea mas bilingue...asi que coninuo.

Perhaps Wanda's note will clarify more with a purpose statement. While i am
delighted by the prospect, i am mainly concerned about one group "missing"
the thinking of others who appear, in each case, interested in all things
CHAT ...

Secondly, I think seth is right re. 2nd issue
> Den onsdag 05 september 2001 06:23 skrev Guillermo Arias:
> > YA EXISTEN ALGUNAS PERSONAS QUE ME HAN COMUNICADO SU INTERES EN
PARTICIPAR
> > EN LA LABOR DEL GRUPO, QUE SE HACE?
>
> Isnīt it sufficient if a person says they are interested?

Sure, seems sufficient.
good luck with sustainability, this will be a neat social experiment!

Felicitaciones

pedro