Re: bullfights vs. barnraising vs. playing

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 15:12:23 PDT

YEah, there is this tension with computers and software designed for individual
use when often classrooms use cooperative strategies. IT is interesting how it
plays out on a microgenetic scale. I continue be amazed at one group of two
females/one male in a formative assessment session at a high school several
years ago. The guy always got the mouse. This went on for several days. The
girls responded by getting another keyboard and mouse from an unused computer
and putting it in his hands (unattached to any computer) while they took their
turn. Methinks he got the message.

So is forced turn-taking an agonistic strategy? Or are we seeing more
breakdown in the bullfighting/barnraising dichotomy? Or...what?

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]