hmmmm, i think

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 11:03:50 PDT

Hi Alena--

It is my impression (there have been a lot of lengthy thoughts put out here
this morning/evening) that you believe the big lesson to be taken from
Tannen is to avoid reduction of discussion to either the battle-winner-take-
all-cut-their-heads-off approach, or to a non-critical, every-thing-goes-
and-we-are-all-in-agreement. But as you point out, Tannen does not tell
us how to avoid the fire when we jump out of the frying pan (just to mix
metaphors-- its almost lunch time where I am).

Play has often been a part of xmca discours, although bill's bunnies have
been molting, or snoozing, or he has been looking elsewhere. I continue
to find the idea of creating half baked ideas and inviting others, including
ourselves, to bake them up into a tasty meal. Add the catharsis of beating
down the bread from time to time before it goes in the oven (a favorite
activity of ours during graduate school!) and the result might be
pretty good.

Is that a response? Did I miss something in the tide of words?
mike