Re: theory/practice

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 19:03:23 PDT

In a message dated 8/21/2001 11:59:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au writes:

> Is the term "mental illness" even helpful anymore? Single motherhood and

Phil,

This is not meant to be crass or rude but having worked for 12 years with
some 'abnormal' behavior or another I have a personal bias towards going back
to the terms idiot, imbecile and moron. Think about it, everyone can realate
to these words because at one time or another we have had to navigate social
situations that contained an individual who fit one of these categories. Am
I being insensitive for noticing these differences? I am not saying that I
am annoyed or even troubled that some of these people are out in public. I
am merely stating an observation that the categorization of the mentally ill
into these Historical references would be helpful in providing more
realisitic service delivery. The realism would be a result of the common
understanding of the terminology.

What do you think?
ERic