Laszlo's comments on crises

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 14:11:14 PDT

Well, Eva, at least my misunderstanding was productive!
So, about Laszlo's paper.

I like the punch line: The international Vygotsky boom seems to be motivated by psychology's "unconscious desire" to recover
his unity without being compelled to sacrifice for it either the insights developed by psychology as a
natural science, or those whose development was that long obstructed by such a science.

I, too, was at the 1966 Intl Congress, but too young and too busy as a "gofer"
for the organizing committee and helping distressed Americans who could
not navigate the Moscow scene, and washing and drying the baby's diapers
hanging in our room at Moscow U to come away with any titanic expectations.

So Laszlo's remembering, and the fact that he could bridge things to a 1976
meeting, were of special interest to me as editor of the translation journal
where the article appeared. By that time, psychology's unconscious desire,
if it was that, had become my conscious goal, as expressed in *Cultural
Psychology* and multiple screenful's of xmca.

I will be interested to see how those members of xmca who know nothing of
the events Laszlo recounts react to his article...... and later, when
that discussion has run its course, how we all relate it to Vygotsky
s (presumably conscious) thoughts on the subject.
mike