Re: powserful connections

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 19:26:40 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>Diane pisala:

cara mia!!

>here here!! huzzah!!! salary and tips are connected more powerfully than
>ideals of service and beliefs about relative tips with meal costs.
>diane
>
>-----
>
>Hi Diane-- Could you unpack the sense of "more powerful" in your
>statement?
>It sure looks like you are making a pretty straight base-superstructure
>argument here, and you might even be claiming a cross-cultural universal
>of political economic life. And a separation of belief formation from
>labor.

"powerfully, powerful" as in representing a dynamic of control - power and
control are intimately linked, of course, as manifestations of each other
- in my humble Canadian waitressing experiences, salary is assigned in a
relation

with tipping, i.e., if tips are high, as in a bar, salary is hourly, with
no O/T, no benefits, and below minimum wage. that's right -
proportionately below minimum wage.
if there are few or no tips (e.g., donut shop, Subway, McDonald's) salary
is minimum wage, sometimes with O/T, raises, benefits, and so on.
in these contexts: tipping controls salary.
i can't claim much beyond that - not a separation of belief from labour,
(and really where could one begin with that?? fascinating!) and nothing to
do with superstructures or broad economics - local economy, i'm sure,
dictates much of the control relation between the differing incomes
(salary, tips) ---- the politic, for me, is across the gender lines in
terms of who waitresses/waiters/serves where, and for how long, for how
much, and so on.

>Aren't they all interimbricated?
>mike

they could very well be interimbricated, in abstract terms,
but in terms of everyday life, much of the policy concerning tips and
salary is localized to the business (privately owned bar, privately owned
franchise) and the location (suburb, city, rural communities, and so on),
not to limit the related variables, but those are the big ones, for sure.

:)
ciao
diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2