Re: theory/practice

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 19:01:59 PDT

To those interested,

I am interested in how science contributes to the constructive process of
mapping progress. I am interested in how studying people's personalities
contributes to helping a person navigate their current situation. I am
interested in how mentally ill people march to their own drummer and do not
accept cultural norms. From Vygotsky's Thought and Language I am interested
in how he separates active thought into spontaneous and scientific. More
specific to the crisis I would note that LSV puts his best theoretical foot
forward when he states the study of development should be the school of
thought that is the umbrella construct for best explaining human
psychological processes. Vygotsky is interested in measuring behavior but
instead of merely targeting a behavior and making checks he would like to map
the specific journey a behavior makes from either not exisiting to existing
or from 'primitive' to honed. Because he wants to study behavior he does not
want to get ahead of himself and claim to have discovered how people learn;
he wants to learn how to instruct at the same time the student is learning
the skill. LSV understood the realities of behavior. He speaks to the
merits of many theoretical schools but chides them for matching all newfound
data to their preexisting models. His prediction of psychology being a
splintered discipline is our present reality in the field of what do we call
it now? Social Sciences?

What do you think?
ERic