Re: theory/practice

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 15:24:43 PDT

> Article may not be the best way to see it - it is a hefty manuscript that
could have been a book. If we see it as a book it has 14 chapters and 1-4
and 12 and 13 are already transcribed and on-line. I scanned 5 today, and
could do more if there's interest.

> As far as legality we could just make a single on-line photo copy
available - that's consistent with fair use - right.

> I also question if this is a direction folks want to pursue, if we need to
read the whole piece. I think what Andy originally transcribed could be good
enough.

> Nate

Sorry, Nate.... but I think if we go for this, it should be the whole thing,
though everyone should be warned that it's well over 100 pages in the
original. When I did get round to reading the whole thing having first just
seen the chapters on Andy's website, it put the text in a different light.
In my view the direct discussion of schools of psychology is only one of the
topics that it would be interesting to discuss - there are a whole lot of
issues of methodology / philosophy of science, for example, as well as ones
concerning the process by which knowledge becomes codified into separate
disciplines.

It would also be a great public service, to put it slightly pompously. It
took me quite a long time to track down the relevant volume of the collected
works to the British Library, it not being available in any of the
universities around here. The downside is the work required of course, but
if we are just scanning a photocopy presumably it would be a lot less than
if we were using OCR and editing.

Bruce

=====================================

Bruce Robinson