RE: Re(2): Tipping in restaurants

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 02:26:00 PDT

I agree, Phillip:
the Rose paper does contribute nicely to the production of a complex enough
description of the formation of skilled job performance, identity formation
on the job, and the satisfactions of work (even as work also hurts and
cripples).

The matter of tipping or no tipping looks like an interesting point of
entry for exploring cultural difference in how our culture informs our
research. However, I'm an absulute ignoramus in the specifics of tipping
from either end, so I'll pass it over.

Just wanted to add that as I read Rose he also has a section where he
observes how much of that waitressing cheerfulness is a PERFORMANCE, and
how it is LEARNED. In your phrasing that cheer got a bit too naturalized
for my taste. But that it is "made" rather than "born" does not necessarily
make it less pleasant - I just love the way Rose uses "flow experience" as
a framework for his mothers work memories.

Eva