Re: back to the stats

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 07:36:39 PDT

I took "lecturesque scripts" with the two sides to its full meaning, being
instruction and reproof. (Is this an OK interpretation Diane? btw, in the
words of my skateboarding friends, your reponse was "siccckk!" as a series of
well executed hand-plants in a half-pipe followed by an ollie over a hip is
"siccckk!")

While there is an abhorrence of externally imposed rules in the skateboarding
"community", (and is this vaguely but perhaps superficially reminiscent of
Eugenes rules/voting attempt?) there is acceptance of a "skatepark etiquette",
in which it is the skateboarder's personal decision for any act of etiquette.
Home grown, it cannot be described as a set of rules -- that would be my
perspective -- after all rules are an abhorrence, and are especially not to be
written down. And one wonders about the history of male dominance in academic
discourse and the parallel dominance in skateboarding development. Nahhh...
just a coincidence. When I was teaching at Maine Maritime Academy, I was
stunned by the strict adherence to Roberts Rules at faculty meetings. (Since i
did not know the rules at that time, all I could do was sit and listen to avoid
embarassment!) I was told by a colleague that the adoption of RR was because,
before the rules were adopted, there would be brawling at the meetings! (Just
a year or so prior to my arrival, the academy was an all-male institution --
again perhaps a coincidence.)

Just wondering aloud. A break from reading student papers.
bb

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]