RE: back to the stats

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 16:20:02 PDT

Thanks for this interesting stuff.

Reflecting on my own participation history, which may contribute to the
picture

I came on in late 1993. I was silent for three months.

Then I contributed a posting - which was associated with great anxiety
symptoms.

I was welcomed by those at the time as a new voice.

I contributed some more - ill formed thoughts.

I got blasted and condescended to.

I withdrew into lurkerdom for two years.

I began to feel frustration because I thought I had something to contribute
but still felt wounded.

I resolved the contradiction by structuring contributions as questions.

I have just recently become more confident about my contributions, which
means that I have become relaxed about throwing out ill-formed thoughts
again. I have also found that I don't give a damn any more about being
blasted and condescended to. I am amused by it and feel it says more about
the blaster than it does about me. Now how did that happen?

Also - if this has been my middle aged and thick skinned experience, what
must it be like for the young and thin skinned?

However - to surface something tacit. I am interested in the gender part of
this discussion because a lot of my early anxiety was to do with feeling
that the climate of the times was such that, as a male, the very act of
posting was likely to be interpreted as one of gender politics. I don't feel
that now - is that because of the change in stats that has been reported, or
was I just rationalising then?

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855