busting through abstract cages

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 14:19:45 PDT

ahh... Eva sent the xl file backstage, and the numbers and the number of
numbers are impressive. I did a quick check of how many postings in each term
and spring 96 stood out as about double many other terms. A quick calculation
of standard deviation was also about double other terms, meaning that a larger
number of people contributed than usual. So I quickly went to the archive for
spring 96 and sampled what are some very deep conversations! This was before
my time, so I wonder what it was like.

Any old-timers care to comment? What is your impression of that time? Was it
different than now? If so, how?

Here were the top 30 contributors, who collectively posted 76% of the 2132
messages that spring.

Jay Lemke
Judy Diamondstone
Mike Cole
Peter Smagorinsky
Robin Harwood
Eugene Matusov
Francoise Herrmann
Eva Ekeblad
Angel Lin
Bill Penuel
Arne Raeithel
Phil Agre
Ken Goodman
Vera John-Steiner
Dewey Dykstra
Joćo Batista Martins
James Robert Martin
Gary Shank
Michael Glassman
Keith Sawyer
Rolfe Windward
Ana Marjanovic Shane
Paul Prior
Gordon Wells
Phillip White
Dale Cyphert
Timothy Koschmann
Russ Hunt
Ellice Forman
Charles Bazerman

=====
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]