Re: xmca glossary

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 11:36:24 PDT

At 09.57 -0700 01-08-15, Mike Cole scrobe:
>Perhaps you are right, Eva. But, to take the zoped example, what would
>it do to put in parenthsis (zona blizhaishevo razvitia) without commentary?
>That level of elaboration requires only a smidgen of thoughtfulness on
>people's part, but may yield only a smidgen of increased insight.
>mike

Yes, Mike

It may yield only a smidgen. Still, it's a smidgen it would be nice to have
as a regular feature. For one thing, apart from the more or less
transparent hint towards how the term is composed in Russian, German, or...
(we really have MANY different languages between us on this list currently,
can't NAME them all) - it would also serve as a constant reminder that
there ARE other languages, and that terminology is not always neatly
translatable.

It would also, hopefully, encourage the asking of questions for further
clarification in the more opaque cases.

I hope that I'm not discouraging the volunteer glossarists - in fact, if a
(renewed, reinforced) practice of terminological polyglottism emerges,
those who take on the chore of more organized work can "just" fish the
wordstream.

cheers
Eva