Re: scripted zopeds

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@goteborg.utfors.se)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 02:26:45 PDT

At 07.56 +0200 01-08-14, Garai L·szlÛ scrobe:
>How do you feel about it, Mike, as one of several representatives of a
>bilingualism within xmca?

Dear Laszlo

As another bilingual (although less polyglot than you) I think this is a
darn good idea, in all those cases where xmca discussions turn on matters
of concepts - which are usually hard to discern from matters of vocabulary
(and some would argue that the distinction is artificial anyway).

Well, Christoph et al. in the discussion of Erinnerung and Gedächtnis
already did something similar. It's a very useful practice on an
international list.

Perhaps something similar would be useful concerning all the terminology
tied to the particular instantiations of societal institutions in different
places - there are educational and social care systems all over, but the
particulars of these systems are often almost untranslatable. I often find
myself stumped because of lexical insufficiencies (and insufficient grasp
of the whole of the Swedish system) when I wish to use examples "from home".

best wishes
Eva