Re: Re(2): remembering time

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 07:43:53 PDT

In a message dated 8/9/2001 12:17:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu writes:

> my moving through the doorway occurs the moment i open the door to move
> through the doorway, there is no "time" lap between the actions, they
> occur in a simultaneous activity of "being" wherever it is i am going. and
> at the same time, literally, i AM already there, ... the illusion of
> cause-effect is empirically powerful, but i'm not entirely seduced by
> empiricism either. ;)

So for an event that affects only your conscious thought and self-impacted
activities it is possible to avoid the thought of sequence and only picture
the event as something that is made up of individual items that do not exist
except and have no dependence upon each other. Now if one were to consider
the activity of swatting a fly. Within our conscious thought we can run the
gamut of possibilities concerning these individual units but in reality the
bug that is being swatted becomes a non-bug in 'real time'. The sewuence of
events in 'real time' were dependent upon each other and the bug becoming a
non-bug is dependent u0pon the context of it biting your ankle repeatedly.
Our memory time can imagine it to still be a bug but in reality it no longer
is. "Real time" dictates the actuality of the circumstance, the concreteness
if you will. "Memory time" holds no such constraints, the abstractness if
you will. Abstract thought holds no ties to units being dependent upon each
other, whereas concrete thought requires that individual units of a situation
or context or co-genetic.
Eric