Re(2): RE: public opinion pohl

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 21:02:16 PDT

djc = don cunningham ... not me. don wrote these thoughts: i'm not this
eloquent.
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>diane writes:
>>But if I understand Gary correctly, he is saying that the essence of
>>schooling lies in very humble but powerful forces of people (call them
>>teachers for now) thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to work with kids
>>(call them students for now) to foster their intellectual, emotional and,
>>even spiritual growth.
>
>bell hooks defines this activity as love---
>the will to act to support one's own or another's spiritual, mental,
>emotional, and physical growth
>(actually, i think she takes this from m. scott peck.)
>the words "i love to teach" or "i love kids" or somesuch slip easily and
>frequently from the lips of elementary school teachers. but is never taken
>seriously. i once had a school director tell me that she never believed
>any applicant who claimed to love kids and wouldn't hire that person.
>>
>>I will go and be alone with my sandwich now.........djc
>
>now diane, this sounds more like homer simpson than you!
>
>(my youngest son is quite a simpsons scholar and is known t o quote homer
>at the dinner table. alas! when he was but a babe, i had hoped he would
>grow up to quote a different homer.)
>

>recursively remembering something better forgotten,
>kathie

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2