Re: Education reform, was Re(3): job

From: MnFamilyMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 14:56:14 PDT

In a message dated 8/8/2001 12:58:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
jllbc@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

> We jump too soon to the information-poor level of
> the abstract. We do the wrong kind of generalization (make it more
> abstract, then transfer it); we need a science of the particular ... we
> need to understand how "high quality" ought to be different in each site,
> not how it should be the same in each site. But that kind of science would
> not support centralized bureaucratic power and control, would it?

Here-here Jay, I couldn't agree with you more. Perhaps this is why charter
schools and area learning centers are decentralizing American public
education. Unfortunately the central administration in St. Paul is closing
charter schools, citing mismanagement of funds. I've never seen an
administration close itself down for the same reason, funny how it works out
that way.

Eric

Eric